Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Clone Letter FROM the UK  (Read 8765 times)

Ihadnoidea

• View Profile
Clone Letter FROM the UK
« on: March 27, 2011, 11:22:10 AM »
Thank you Mr. Chan and Mr. Michelen for putting together this site. I for one am glad I found it. As soon as funds are available, I will be contributing to keep it up and running. I cannot imagine how many people are being extorted given the lack of knowledge most of us have regarding copyright infringement. "I wish I would have known then..."

Like so many others here with Getty, I received a letter from Cephas Picture Library of the UK demanding about $9000 for use of pictures on a personal site. I had a student help build a website using a template we purchased (he received an A in his web design class for his effort) for my wife and I regarding our interest in wine. We found pictures of wine grapes on a college student's site and unfortunately used them on ours. I cannot find the site we discovered the pictures leading me to believe the student is facing the same problem as we are.

As soon as I received the extortion letter, I took the entire site off line and sent a letter apologizing for the use and went as far as offering them $200 for the time the pictures were on the site with the understanding that we would not use them again. The site will not return until this matter is settled, if then. They persisted with more threatening letters and refused to even discuss a smaller settlement. The site, while nice looking, was probably viewed by a few dozen people if I include friends and family.

I simply do not know where to go from here given that I do not have the income to pay such extortion nor the inclination to let them get away with it. Driving a fire truck for a living keeps a roof over my family but does not leave enough for this sort of thing.  I would appreciate any ideas you have on how to proceed. I have emailed Mr Michelen and will be patient awaiting a response. I understand the value of what you are doing for so many.

On a side note:
It seems to me that legislation could be introduced to limit the damages to individuals who unknowingly and without intent violate copyright laws provided they remove the images once notified. Legal or not, extortion is extortion and the suffering imposed on those of us caught in this scheme is significant. I have certainly lost a few nights sleep over this. I am not sure if this is a possibility not being a legal expert but if it is, I do know a few members of Congress I could likely talk into introducing such a bill once the situation was explained to them.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
Re: Clone Letter FROM the UK
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 03:25:11 PM »
Unfortunately I cannot help you in the UK.  While I know that a firm called LimeOne has helped people, I dont know their success rate or their fee rates. Getty has sued on rare occasion in the US. Also try the link on our homepage to the FSB forum to see if its still active and providing information for UK Getty letter recipients.

Ihadnoidea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 03:48:42 PM »
Thank you for the response. I live in the US but the letter came from a UK company. I assume they would have to file a suit here or in an international court and have no idea what that would mean.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 04:39:50 PM »
Can you identify what UK company is? Is it a new stock photo company we have heard before or not? Does the UK company have a presence in the U.S.?
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Ihadnoidea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 05:40:35 PM »
Hi,

The company is Cephas Picture Library of Middlesex England. The letters have been pretty much carbon copies of the Getty letters.

Ihadnoidea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 05:42:45 PM »
As far as I can tell, they do not have US operations or partnerships with a US company. Their website is http://www.cephas.com/ and their specialty seems to be vineyard photography.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 04:14:27 PM »
I would be glad to help you if you are a US company. Email me at xxxx
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:56:22 PM by Matthew Chan »

Ihadnoidea

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 01:44:29 AM »
Thank you! The email is on the way.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 03:10:10 PM »
got it will reply shortly

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.