Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: ERRB receives Royal Assent - UK - Changes in Digital Copyright  (Read 5830 times)

Nodge

• View Profile
Re: ERRB receives Royal Assent - UK - Changes in Digital Copyright
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 05:49:50 PM »
Can't say I agree with this new act but I would think it's going to be very difficult for Getty to bring a case against anyone now.

More info here www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/29/err_act_landgrab/
John

Couch_Potato

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 04:34:51 AM »
Getty doesn't bring cases to court anyway. This won't stop their letter writing campaign because that relies on ignorance of the law.

However, I have to say the legislation seems ridiculous. Using orphan works I might be able to make a case for, but allowing them to be sold for profit wholesale is clearly wrong. They haven't even sorted out a proper copyright registration database.

It also doesn't help anyone in the position of using a third party who uses stolen images. They'll still get hammered as usual because they don't know better.

DavidVGoliath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 02:15:54 PM »
However, I have to say the legislation seems ridiculous. Using orphan works I might be able to make a case for, but allowing them to be sold for profit wholesale is clearly wrong. They haven't even sorted out a proper copyright registration database.

You're not wrong there; the portion of the ERRB that deals with copyright looks to absolutely fly in the face of the Berne Convention - something which could lead to some very nasty court actions being brought against UK based users of "orphan" works created by foreign rightsholders.

Hopefully common sense will prevail as, if the ERRB becomes fully ratified, there are many rightsholders poised to mount a campaign for a judicial review of this piece of nonsense.

My own €0.02 says that someone needs to investigate why Ed Quilty tacked the issue of so-called oprhan works onto a bill which has almost nothing to do with copyrights. Whose pocket is he in?

/end rant

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.