Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Jan 2013 Getty Images Lobbying Vince Cable - We need to lobby Vince  (Read 5099 times)

GoGetter

• View Profile
Here is an extract from some news i just found.

A group of media publishers have claimed that three copyright provisions in draft UK legislation are unlawful—and have demanded their deletion.

In a letter sent to business secretary Vince Cable on January 14, the International Media & Archive Consortium said it will ask a judge to review clauses 66, 67 and 68 in the Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Bill (ERF) if their demands go unanswered.

The consortium, which represents companies such as Thomson Reuters and Getty Images, is particularly worried that the government can amend parts of the act, which is in the final stages of approval at the House of Lords (HoL), without full parliamentary scrutiny.

Under clause 66, which covers exceptions to copyright (uses of work without requiring the owner’s consent), the business secretary can use a statutory instrument (SI) to add or remove exceptions. An SI is a form of secondary legislation allowing new provisions to be incorporated into legislation without parliament passing a new act.

In the letter, from Getty’s corporate counsel Jonathan Lockwood, the parties say they have “fundamental and serious concerns about the true scope of the powers proposed by clause 66, whether those powers are indeed ones that already exist under the ECA [European Communities Act]1972, and consequently the lawfulness and propriety o the action taken to promote clause 66 in the ERR bill in its current form”.

Full story

http://www.worldipreview.com/news/publishers-demand-uk-copyright-bill-changes

GoGetter

• View Profile
Re: Jan 2013 Getty Images Lobbying Vince Cable - We need to lobby Vince
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 05:36:16 PM »
I mailed Vince Cable via his office - and they gave me a decent reply. Certainly their office is now fully aware of the situation. I am sure Vince has better things to do ... but since he has got himself a 14 days to REPLY letter from Getty (wtf?) He probably would feel tempted to get onside. I don't think we should harass him.. but certainly it's a good idea to keep them informed re a practice that could effect anyone of his constituents.

brianjclark

• View Profile
Re: Jan 2013 Getty Images Lobbying Vince Cable - We need to lobby Vince
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 06:02:46 PM »
Just emailed him mine and also John Baron MP. Just in case the "not in my constituency" card makes a difference :)

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.