Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: graphic from another site  (Read 7297 times)

rapidbi

• View Profile
graphic from another site
« on: October 26, 2012, 12:23:34 PM »
Hi all
what a great site
I have had a letter from a debt collection firm about a graphic that was on my site
It was on a "links" page, and a 3rd party had used part of a (potentially) getty image as their logo. I did not host the image, but it was seen on our site.

It seems that the image MAY be a getty one or a photos.com image that is very similar. The screen shot was from 2 years ago and the graphic & who posted it are not know to me, and the screen shot is low res so I cannot read the text next to the image, & its difficult to confirm which version of the image it is.

As I did not host the image & said on the page that we were not liable for external links - what is our position?

should we pay up?

Thanks

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: graphic from another site
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 02:06:30 PM »
if the image in question was not on your servers, than there is no infringement and they have no case..plain and simple...linking to an image is just that a link and not a "copy"
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

rapidbi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 04:07:24 PM »
That was my belief, but they are still chasing, I did not see any standard response to this "infraction" any thoughts on how to respond.. to them, I have already stated this

Mulligan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 04:32:31 PM »
Pay nothing. To get them off your back, send a certified letter to the collection agency telling them you have incurred no debt with Getty Images, and that if they contact you again demanding payment you'll report them for harassment.

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 07:20:57 PM »
rapidi--
I saw a "pounds" rather than $ sign on another thread. In the US linking is not copying. If you are in the uk... I don't know.

Dynazzy

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 08:47:21 AM »
I recommend you do not respond at all. Like any "debt" collections agency, as soon as you acknowledge receipt of the letter you will be harassed by mail for eternity.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 09:08:34 AM »
I recommend you do not respond at all. Like any "debt" collections agency, as soon as you acknowledge receipt of the letter you will be harassed by mail for eternity.

That would greatly depend on "how" you respond..in the states collection agency's are regulated..a simple letter stating it is a claim and not a debt will stop them from harassing you..if not it would be very easy to file a complaint.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Couch_Potato

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 11:52:41 AM »
The problem in this instance is Atradius are not licensed to chase a debt and they stated they were pursuing copyright infringement on behalf of Getty.

I maintain they have no right to do this because only the copyright holder or exclusive licensee can pursue copyright infringement but I suppose that would only really apply in a court of law.

That's what people need to realise. This is not a legal claim and is operating outside of the courts so any legal threat is purely to scare you. Treat it like you would with any claim operating outside of the legal arena.

I'd definitely tell Atradius to go f**k themselves.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.