Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: I Might Just Help Getty!  (Read 5845 times)

brianjclark

• View Profile
I Might Just Help Getty!
« on: June 26, 2013, 05:18:41 PM »
Now that I've got your attention, perhaps not helping in the way you were thinking.

Lets see, Getty is all up for the photographer right. They are being swindled out of thousands of $/£ for lost royalties and lets face it, its all about the photographer isn't it, not the 80% cut (100% if you don't actually tell the photographer).

So being clever folks, why can't we help those poor photographers (and I don't mean that in a derogatory manner - without them we would be screwed for good quality images lets face it!). All we need to do is devise a way to check for Getty that their images are not being used on peoples sites and if they are email them and get them to take them down before Getty does.

As I said, its not about the lost revenue is it Getty, its about protecting copyright and this would help!

The ironic thing is that our job would be much easier than Getty's shitbot, or whatever it was called - I honestly can't remember but it ended in a bot. I'm pretty sure with Getty's library as a starting point and Google - the worlds favourite and lets face it, most pervasive search engine, at hand it wouldn't be too difficult to narrow the results for each image down, scrape the screens for email or addressing info and let them know.

Its all that Getty are doing, except we wouldn't be infringing the website owners content by copying it and posting it to them!

The job would be quite efficient because there are a finite number of Getty images and a finite number of Google search results for each. Far better than Gettys position of finite images but almost infinite sites!

Lets face it, we can get to the moon, we can cut off pretty big revenue stream here - and legally!

Thoughts?? Rational or otherwise lol x

brianjclark

• View Profile
Re: I Might Just Help Getty!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 05:21:21 PM »
I honestly didn't know i used so many exclamation marks :/

lucy

• View Profile
Re: I Might Just Help Getty!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 12:35:43 AM »
I actually did this - I saw that the image I was being extorted for was being used by a university press office - they even had it in their Flickr stream as their property, free for use! I called and asked them about the origin of the image - mentioning that I had received an extortion letter (from Phototake, not Getty) and that they should check on its legitimacy or risk extortion themselves. The woman I talked to claimed they never used outside photos, that it would have been provided by the scientist - but lo and behold a few days later it was off their site and replaced by an image from Wilkipedia. I saved their ass - but didn't even get a thank you. Oh well. Karma is mine.   8)

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.