Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: SWEDEN: Letter from a law firm recieved!  (Read 14180 times)

lagamba

• View Profile
Re: SWEDEN: Letter from a law firm recieved!
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 06:04:41 AM »
Oh I haven't been here in a while, so glad to see the posts! Thank you!!

After the first GI letter I contacted the bureau witch the fotographer works for.
I wondered if the demand letter was on their behalf and asked who owned the picture, their answer was:
"Unfortunately, this is between you and Getty, and the photographer's are forbidden to get involved. We have no bearings on what Getty does with the images. You are going to have to contact Getty. There isn't anything anyone here can do.
We do own the picture, but Getty is in charge of the licensing."

Can anyone explain what that means in legal terms? Is Getty still able to sue me?

After the first GI letter I contacted GI Sweden and they told me to contact GI UK since they don't have anything to do in this matter. GI Sweden don't send out theese letters and have never done.

After recieving the first letter from the lawfirm in Sweden representing GI, I asked about proof that the Picture and it's copyrights belongs to GI. Their answear was that no proof can be provided since they don't have any register for that information in Sweden (shouldn't GI be the one that provides that information?, they refer me to the information on GI website that confirms that they own the rights.

This is the information written under the used Picture on GI website:
Photographer: (the photographers bureau name)
Copyright: (the photographers bureau name)
Author: (the photographers bureau name

lagamba

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 06:06:10 AM »
By the way..sorry for misspellings and bad English.  :)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 07:08:45 AM »
Just because the image is oon Getty's site doesn't mean they own it! and they never provide any proof they do own anything..they just want you money plain and simple. What power getty has depends on the contract between them and the artist, but they don't divulge that either..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

scraggy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 10:01:02 AM »
My opinion (and this entire post is just that) is that the photographer owns the copyright. He may have transferred an exclusive license to Getty Images ( US ) Inc ( probably in an electronic document not signed by either party (that was frowned upon by the judge in the Getty vs Advernet case ).

Maybe Getty Images ( US ) Inc can sue you. But they are not even the ones threatening you! You say that Getty UK have sent you the letters.

In my opinion, “Getty Images International” – registered in Ireland or Getty Images Devco UK Limited, are not the same company as Getty Images ( US ) Inc,. They don’t have any agreements with the photographers, they don’t therefore own the exclusive license, and they cannot therefore sue you!

Has Getty USA ever sued in Sweden? I doubt it! Has Getty UK ever sued in Sweden? I doubt it!

Why are you worrying? The letters are meant to scare you, but in practice, that’s where it ends!

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.