Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Used a screenshot with an altered Getty image  (Read 4706 times)

MillyMollyMandy

• View Profile
Used a screenshot with an altered Getty image
« on: June 21, 2012, 05:02:22 PM »
Today I got the Settlement Demand to the tune of £879.45

I took a look at the image on the letter and rang them up, confident that I didn't have this image on my site. [It's of a baby looking at a birdcage]

After a brief conversation with Getty, I tracked the image down.

I had written a blog post about interesting 404 pages, with some links to these pages i used a screenshot of a 404 webpage on my blog.

The designers of this 404 webpage took a Getty Image, altered it, and created their 404 webpage with the photoshopped design.
I obviously had no idea this page used part of a Getty photo, and as it had its own url clearly visible, thought it was ok to use on my site to illustrate my article.

Am I liable for using this image ?

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Used a screenshot with an altered Getty image
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
I would think not, it would probably fall under fair use / parody, much like some of our images are altered..like my altered image below of one of our loved trolls Timothy b McCormack aka "The Copyright Cow"

Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.