Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Don't buy from Getty, but who then?  (Read 4407 times)

kerrig

• View Profile
Don't buy from Getty, but who then?
« on: November 22, 2010, 10:49:27 PM »
Am I right in assuming that Fotolia is not owned by Getty Images?  

Does anyone else know who is not owned by Getty?

lmullen

Re: Don't buy from Getty, but who then?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 11:51:29 AM »
After my problem with Getty (I didn't purchase from them, but from another party with resale rights--wrong!).
Anyway, I began to use Big Stock Photos. Since I design website templates, they are the best for me. You are allowed to embed their images into a template for resale. They are wonderful to work with, and have thousands of pictures.

Lettered

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 01:17:34 PM »
Just understand the risks associated with all these types of sites.  Not to pick on "Big Stock Photos", but I think if you take a look at it (and other sites similar to it) you will find that virtually ANYONE can upload images to sell, and I think you'll also find in the fine print of the agreements that you assume all risk of use of the image.  That would mean, I assume, that if one or more of the images you buy from them is violating someone's copyright, and the real owner takes action, then you are the responsible party.  Could you make the web site pay up for any damages?  I'm no lawyer, but not the way I read it.  The agreements on those types of websites seem pretty clear to me that the end user is assuming all risks of use of the images they buy.

How could even the most well intentioned website verify all of the photos being uploaded for sale arent violating a third party's copyright?

I think we all have a good idea of who Getty would go after if, for example, some of their photos got uploaded for sale by some unscrupulous party and distributed widely to unsuspecting end users.

I think the safest thing to do is buy a camera and take your stock photos yourself.  Copyright law is just too out of whack.

kerrig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 05:23:10 PM »
Yes, I agree with Lettered.  I think everyone should forget the idea of having the smiling girl on the home page of their web site.  I have my web guy removing ALL photos from my sites right now as I dont want anymore letters coming at me and I have completely lost trust in the industry.  He is a photographer and he also designs "images" based on our product screen shots.  I think this is a slippery slope all around with stock photos.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 11:51:37 PM »
Unfortunately, I have to agree.  Until such time as someone literally starts fresh with a new crop of digital images and creates a website, no site is safe.  Too many existing sites upload pictures from many sources where you cannot be guaranteed originality.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.