Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Got a letter from gettyImages - help!  (Read 3249 times)

thecaretaker

• View Profile
Got a letter from gettyImages - help!
« on: January 11, 2011, 12:39:50 PM »
I'm so pleased to find this forum....

I've just had a letter (4 page) from GettyImages saying I must pay £572 for a single image.

I'm not a company, I have a personal website. That is a lot of money to me.

I'm happy to provide a link to the owner where I have uploaded a pdf version of the letter.

The image was given to me by the HSE when they ran a ladder campaign. I've contacted the owner of the image (according to Getty) and asked him to confirm it is one of his and if there is anything I can do.

What should I do?

Ignore it and anything that Getty send and hope they go away?

I have removed the image.

They assume I am a company. I do not have a legal dept. I am a family man who doesn't earn much, to which this settlement will affect my family finances and I will definately have to shut my website down.

Any help from you would be most appreciated.

thecaretaker

• View Profile
Re: Got a letter from gettyImages - help!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 05:43:55 PM »
OK, here is my situation. The single image I used was from the 'Stone Collection' which I understand that wasn't in Getty hands until 2008.

I have evidence that the image was on my website from 2005, 3 yrs before it was copyrighted to Getty. I know this, as I was working in partnership with the HSE (Health and Safety Executive) a government body who used this image for the front cover of a freely downloadable booklet on 'Working at Heights' which is still available from their website to download today.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg401.pdf

I was given the content by the HSE to publish on my website.

Now, I doubt a government body would use images illegally. They must have bought the rights to use it for a booklet cover. How come this has now come in to Getty hands?

This is bordering on entrapment.

Thankfully, I also have several other sources (which I won't publish in case they read these pages) where I have evidence the cover image was on my website in 2005 and 2006.

What do you think my chances are of winning this one in court?

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.