Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Can we start a "Success Mission Accomplished" Thread for success stories?  (Read 10927 times)

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
mcfilms; "cool story bro".  Thanks for sharing.
I'm pleased (as are many others) that everything worked out well for you!!
I'm a bit surprised that Getty took this as far as they did; perhaps they thought that you'd just pay due to the strong-arm tactics?

Thanks again.

S.G.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 02:33:03 AM by Matthew Chan »

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
SG -- I am certain that is what they were banking on. My first contact with Getty made it very clear that they were interested in getting the money and not so much about getting the story straight.

I also wonder if the shifting tide in public opinion has motivated them to change tactics and possibly lighten up. In the last two weeks I've seen more coverage about the issue of trolling. NPR's "This American Life" had an excellent and ironic story about patent trolls (worth hunting down). And last week the LA Weekly had an article about Piracy Trolls -- lawyers suing on behalf of film companies for illegal downloads of movies -- based on a users IP number. And of course I expect this board has helped a great deal informing people on how to respond and what their options are.

The Weekly article told of some sanctions that were taken against some of the lawyers when the judge learned of their strong-arm techniques.

Anyway, the intent of my long story wasn't to gloat (although I am very happy.) I hope it gives people here a feeling that they can and should fight if they feel they are in the right.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
great story and congrats!

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.