Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Copyright compliance request  (Read 4506 times)

Danger

• View Profile
Copyright compliance request
« on: November 01, 2011, 07:37:24 PM »
If Getty is adamant in protecting their interest, property rights and etc, in such a distasteful manner, then don't we as designers and users of images have an obligation to determine the copyright and legal use of images we intend to use?  Nobody want their clients (or themselves) to receive a Getty letter.

With the billion of images available on the internet, what method do I have to determine if the image I intend to use is copyright protected or not; therefore, every image with any intent of use should be sent to Getty with a request to determine potential copyright infringement.

When Getty takes such heavy steps to "protect" then, to avoid violating their "rights" we need to take extra measures to insure compliance.

So, I'm hoping that a person with a legal background would be able to create a geriatric Copyright Compliance Request letter which we could email to Getty requesting they review the attached (million) images.

Dan

P.S. Be sure to state the following "Validation must be received within 14 days of this email."

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Copyright compliance request
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 07:47:38 PM »
not going to work..plain and simple. Getty does not own copyright to every image, unless you plan on sending the letter to EVERY stock image site, and every photographer in the world...

to answer your question.... "then don't we as designers and users of images have an obligation to determine the copyright and legal use of images we intend to use? " yes we do, purchase them legally, take your own pictures, keep records of every transaction and keep RAW files, ect...
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Danger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 10:10:14 PM »
Silly man, you missed the concept. The idea is to submerge Getty with request to validate.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 06:56:12 AM »
yea I actually thought of that after I posted...poor mail clerks would be buried, and we'd be serving a dual purpose...keeping the post office in business and secure some jobs at GI, thus stimulating the economy..  8)
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Crying-out-Loud

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
Did anyone think about sending cease & desist letters to domaintools.com and similar websites as they show alleged copyrighted material (historical screen shots) of virtually every website on the internet? 

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 01:22:30 PM »
Getty has no obligation to validate anything and the letter will be put in the trash. It is the person who intends to use the work to make sure they have a valid license or permission to use the image and no one else's obligation. Pay for the image outright from a legitimate vendor; secure a license from a legitimate licensing agent; or take it yourself - those are your options.  If you don't you risk getting a letter from Getty or Corbis or Masterfile etc. The days of "If its on the internet it must be free" ARE OVER.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.