Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Helping my client  (Read 2842 times)

jcs1969

• View Profile
Helping my client
« on: January 31, 2013, 01:14:34 AM »
I developed and hosted a website for a new client.  When developing websites, I used pictures that I paid for or were listed as free for commercial use at the time.  Unfortunately I have not been able to prove that in this case.  He got a letter from Getty saying one image was in violation and they demanded $950.  With his permission, I contacted Getty (after reading a post on this forum saying they settled a similar case for $225).  I told Getty I had $250 that they could have if they settled, or I was going to invest $195 in the defense letter program.  They countered by reducing their demand to $750.  I refuse to pay $750 to encourage Getty to continue this behavior.  My client is in his 80s and does not need any harrassment or reminder of this issue.  I would love to assume responsability and have Getty come after me, but I don't think that is possible.  I understand joining the defense letter program means Getty can no longer contact my client directly.  Will my client get letters from Mr. Michelen's office or can those letters come to me?  I would like to assume responsability and put my clients mind at ease.  My concern is if he gets an update from Mr. Michelen every couple of weeks, it will only serve as a reminder of the theatening letters.

THANK-YOU TO EVERYONE ASSOCIATED WITH ELI AND EVERYONE THAT HAS POSTED THEIR EXPERIENCES.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Helping my client
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 06:12:56 AM »
You can retain Oscar on your clients behalf but neither of you will get updates every couple of weeks. You will get a letter sent to Getty, and a second response if needed...at which time you might here from Oscar's office is there is a change...no news is good news.. If you want updates ( which there aren't any)you can probably plan on paying full price.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

jcs1969

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 03:25:32 PM »
Thanks for the quick reponse.  That's what I wanted to hear.  I would prefer no updates.  I would like this issue to go away and my client to never be reminded of it.  Keep fighting the good fight. 

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 10:41:12 PM »
Robert hit it on the head - It's usually one letter (you get a draft and a final version) and then no news is good news. Updates about the Getty situation are usual posted on the website here so that's how best to keep track if anything has changed. The letter goes out in the name of the letter recipient so that they are no longer contacted directly by Getty

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.