Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: How to Stop Using Stock Photos & Boycott the Stock Photo Industry  (Read 4791 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
I just completed writing an extensive article entitled "How to Stop Using Stock Photos & Boycott the Stock Photo Industry". I did not release it for two days to allow what I wrote to percolate a bit. I wanted to be sure I really wanted to release it.  After considerable thought and consideration, I think the time is right.

Many of you know that the sentiment for this article has been building for quite some time.  It has been voiced by many others.  I believe that there is growing interest to discuss the boycotting issue more seriously.  Because of the work done thus far by this website, I decided to take an official stand to boycott the stock photo industry until it dramatically changes its ways of doing business.

I equate some actions of the stock photo industry as similar to the nasty tactics engaged by the RIAA.  I find what Getty Images and its cohorts are doing distasteful and I am voting by advocating and teaching others how to find alternatives and avoid using stock photos altogether.

Although the article I written has been committed to a "permanent" web page, it will be updated over time.  I am opening up this discussion thread to solicit comments, suggestions, and feedback on the article and the subject matter.

Matthew Chan
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

MIKEZ909

• View Profile
Re: How to Stop Using Stock Photos & Boycott the Stock Photo Industry
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 06:34:36 PM »
I think it's a great idea

gettyvictim120

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:37:15 AM »
Thank you for a good article Matthew. I began boycotting stock photography sites after my experience with Getty Images. I take all of my own photography for my blog, websites, and printed materials. I do the same with clipart, drawing my own or acquiring it from openclipart.org. I just wanted to add a few comments about my experience trying to hire "pro" photographers.

I design clothing and I attempted to find a new "pro" photographer. In exchange for a discounted rate, the photographer would get to keep the clothing and have their name and web address plastered all over the photography. I had no problem with them keeping the sample clothing in exchange for a discount rate because I wouldn't have been able to sell it after it had been worn. I didn't like the terms requiring their copyright notice and web address on the photos as I intended to use the photographs on my own e-commerce site. I think it would lead to brand confusion. Who was really selling the clothing? Other recently turned "pro" photographers were demanding the same kind of deal. Perhaps I was looking in the wrong places for photographers, but I found the requests unprofessional for a "work for hire" situation. I have returned to taking my own photographs.

There is a battle forming over the use of photographs and I think everyone will lose if common sense isn't allowed. The same thing is starting up with the recent Fashion Anti-Piracy/Copyright Law (in committee). While this issue is a discussion for another place and time, it will force fashion/apparel designers and retailers to experience the same headaches that creators and consumers are currently facing with photography.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 04:05:31 PM »
Some good comments you made.  So-called professional photographers will find their services increasing diminish through a combination of outrageous rules for photos you contract to take and the ever-increasing technological capabilities and ease of use of newer cameras.

I would rather pay extra for better equipment and hire my own contractor that will work on my terms than fool with unreasonable terms.  Better to invest in superior equipment and good part-time help/contractors/employees with the "pro" photographers.  I am quite convinced that professional photography is a gradually dying industry.  All the legislation in the world will not save them.

Witness the music industry.  The "need" to hire professional photographers is simply not a fun or practical option for many situations.  I used to be more conservative in how much I would budget for cameras and camcorders.  Now, I am more willing to splurge for equipment that will deliver higher-quality results without the hassles and terms of the "pros".
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.