Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: I got a demand letter from Pixsy  (Read 5995 times)

BloodRedSkies

• View Profile
I got a demand letter from Pixsy
« on: November 07, 2016, 07:22:29 PM »
Hi everyone - new member here. Just recently my editorial/blog non-income generating website got hit with an emailed letter from Pixsy showing links to a picture that is supposedly copyrighted, even though there is no clear marking on it, no watermark, etc. We were asked to remove it immediately and send them money.

The amount quoted that is due within 14 days (otherwise further action will be taken) is not very much ($345). However, I am unable to find the Picture in question for sale anywhere, which makes me question the amount they have come up with. BUT I am able to find it in use on at least two other blogs on the internet with no credit to the photographer.

My question is - has anyone had any experience with Pixsy? Do they actually follow through on "perceived action" for such a small amount?

Anyone?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 06:05:56 PM by BloodRedSkies »

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: I got a demand letter from Pixsy
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 02:59:50 AM »
If you want to email it to me at matt30060 / gmail, I can look it over. I have heard about Pixsy and I suspect it is similar to the many others we have on file.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

BloodRedSkies

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 07:28:36 PM »
Thank you, will do!

BloodRedSkies

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 12:31:33 PM »
If you want to email it to me at matt30060 / gmail, I can look it over. I have heard about Pixsy and I suspect it is similar to the many others we have on file.

Had you ever seen one like that before?

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 02:12:43 AM »
Yup, it looks very similar to the letters issued by Getty Images and Masterfile.  It fits the profile of a standard copyright extortion letter. You can refer to the numerous discussions we have had regarding Getty Images, Masterfile, and the like.  Nothing special about Pixsy from what I can see.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

BloodRedSkies

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 06:01:40 PM »
 Thank you Matthew!

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.