Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Received letter demanding $2500 from CEG TEK International  (Read 7940 times)

coriblk

• View Profile
Received letter demanding $2500 from CEG TEK International
« on: November 19, 2012, 12:24:56 PM »
Hi everyone,

I received a letter from CEG TEK International a couple of days ago demanding $500 for each image posted on my site for a total of $2500. In a panic I deleted the post and apologised for using the image and stated that I got them from another site that was using them. The images are also posted on other sites as well.

I also told CEG TEK International via email that i can't afford that $2500 and they said to give them my number so we can "have a chat about it". I haven't responded yet so what should I do? I have until the 15th Dec to respond. Please see the letter they sent me below

"Dear Legal Department:

CEG TEK International ("We") represent AKM Images Inc.  AKM Images Inc owns all right, title and interest to the image (hereinafter "Work") listed below.

We have detected the unauthorized use of the work owned by AKM Images Inc listed below.  The image is covered by a registered copyright or, an application for registration of the copyright has been submitted to the United States Copyright Office.  Our records and those of AKM Images Inc indicate that you do not currently hold a proper license for the use of the Work displayed on your website.

Image Work Title: *******
Copyright Owner: AKM Images Inc
Unauthorized Domain Name: *******
Unauthorized Image URL:
Unauthorized Page URL:
Timestamp: 2012-10-25 00:52:40 EDT
Settlement: $500.00

To review the full evidentiary information including copies of the original Work,infringing image(s), and screenshots, please visit
https://www.copyrightsettlements.com/ and enter:

Case #: *******
Password: ********

You are hereby notified that unauthorized use of AKM Images Inc's Work on the website identified above is a violation of the U.S. Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. 106. In this regard, request is hereby made that you either:

(i)  Produce proof of license of said image by emailing it to:
support@copyrightsettlements.com.  If you are in possession of a valid license from AKM Images Inc for the use of the image, we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.  AKM Images Inc has a diligent protection policy to ensure consistent, optimum value and quality for its loyal customers.

OR

(ii)  Remit settlement in the amount of $500.00 by visiting
https://www.copyrightsettlements.com/?u=***** and immediately and
permanently cease and desist the unauthorized use and display of said image.

If you do not already hold a valid license or settle as described above, you may bheld liable for monetary damages, including attorney's fees and court costs if a lawsuit is commenced against you.  You have until December 15, 2012 to access the settlement offer and settle online.

To access the settlement offer please visit https://www.copyrightsettlements.com/
and enter Case #: ***** and Password: ******.  To access the settlement offer
directly, please visit: https://www.copyrightsettlements.com/?******
Settlement Information:
Direct Settlement Link: https://www.copyrightsettlements.com/?******
Settlement Website: https://www.copyrightsettlements.com/
Case #: ******
Password: ******

If you fail to respond, settle, or produce proof of license within the prescribed time period, the claim will be referred to our attorneys for legal action.  At that point, the original settlement offer will no longer be an option and the amount will increase as a result of us having to involve our attorneys.

Nothing contained or omitted from this correspondence is, or shall be deemed to be, either a full statement of the facts or applicable law, an admission of any fact, or waiver or limitation of any of AKM Images Inc's rights or remedies, all of which are specifically retained and reserved.

The information in this notice is accurate.  We have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of herein is not authorized by the registered copyright owner, its agent, or by operation of law.  We swear under penalty of perjury, that we are authorized to act on behalf of AKM Images Inc."

I have read around the forum but still don't know how to proceed on this. Should I give them my number or just ignore them and hope they go away. I'm not in the US btw I'm in the UK.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 05:08:26 PM by coriblk »

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Received letter demanding $2500 from CEG TEK International
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 01:40:13 PM »
The most efficient way for you to get your answers is to set up an ELI Phone Support Call. Otherwise, you can do a search on our forums which will provide insights.

http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/eli-phone-support-call-with-matthew-chan/

I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 02:07:21 PM »
Words of advice:
  • Do not speak to them or communicate via email.  Written (snail) letters only so that everything is on the record.
  • Do not admit anything in writing.
  • The burden of proof should be on them, not you.  Ask them to substantiate that they are the copyright holders and provide proof of registration.
  • Ask them to provide proof of the sales history of the images in question so you can ascertain that they are not overcharging you
  • Do some research to verify that others aren't charging less for the same images, or giving them away for free.
  • Read the ELI forums.  There are lots of letters and posts that explain how to handle this yourself, or do the phone call with Matt, or sign up for Oscar's Letter program.  You get to decide whether you want to spend time or money to make this go away.  It will not go away by itself.

Lastly, sign and circulate this petition to everyone you know to try to solve the problem in the future through government legislation.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/work-modify-copyright-laws-end-predatory-practice-copyright-trolling/3cGn2JFL

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 03:27:46 PM »
At this point since you have told them that you use the images I would probably want to talk to Matthew to go over what your options are and how you may wish to proceed. If you wish to handle this yourself I would recommend talking to Matthew and reading the forms, if you don't want to have to deal with it I would contact Oscar and uses defense letter program.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.