Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: On a related topic, a bad bot hits my server  (Read 4301 times)

Moe Hacken

• We have not yet begun to hack
    • View Profile
On a related topic, a bad bot hits my server
« on: May 06, 2012, 10:52:32 PM »
Following the great advice given in this forum about setting up bad bot traps to harvest IPs that need to be blocked, I caught a crawler ignoring my robots.txt file. It was an IP address from China pretending to be a Baidu crawler. It turned out to be registered by these people:

https://www.markmonitor.com/solutions/role_based_solutions-legal.php

Towards the bottom of the page they mention how they can ...

"detect infringement using the industry’s widest monitoring net"

Which apparently means snooping around with incognito crawlers to see what they can find. This broadens the Intellectual Property Crawlerbot playing field beyond images to include games, media, music, and just about anything that can be branded including text copy. Let's hope they don't intend to emulate the extortion letter business model. I think I'll block their IP anyway.

This is what you need to block to keep them out of your server:

IP address: 123.125.71.110
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Baiduspider/2.0; +http://www.baidu.com/search/spider.html)

I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees

lucia

• View Profile
Re: On a related topic, a bad bot hits my server
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 11:00:19 PM »
I block everything with "baidu" in the user agent. It's either
a) really baidu-- which provides me no value and uses up bandwidth, cpu and memory or
b) spoofing baidu which is worse than providing me no value.

There is a whole list of copyright bots out there that should be blocked.

Moe Hacken

• We have not yet begun to hack
    • View Profile
Re: On a related topic, a bad bot hits my server
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 11:17:06 PM »
Thanks, Lucia, you've shared some great advice on this topic. I just laid out the bot trap today and it didn't take an hour before this came in. I'll be keeping an eye on these patterns and keep reporting. I do get a fair amount of traffic from Baidu, which as you say is pretty much worthless to me.
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.