Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Righthaven "Copyright Troll Tactics"  (Read 3107 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Righthaven "Copyright Troll Tactics"
« on: April 20, 2011, 11:08:36 AM »
Everyone needs to get up to speed on the Righthaven controversy.  There are many parallels of Righthaven to Getty Images/Stock Photo industry tactics.  However, the biggest difference is that (for the most part) the stock photo folks have not yet gone crazy on the Litigation front....... yet.

I am following Righthaven with great interest and all of you should too.

But from the Righthaven controversy, we get some new "vocabulary" to use for the Stock Photo Industry Demand Letters.  I helped popularize the term "Extortion Letters". EFF gets credit for coining "Copyright Trolls". I just love that term, "copyright troll".  I wish I came up with it.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/04/eff-righthaven-sham/

BTW, EFF email me to let me know that they are aware of Getty Images and the stock photo demand letters.  I am fairly confident if and when Getty Images and others decide to start firing off lawsuits, EFF will enter the fray. I think EFF is simply watching and monitoring.  And, they are probably following Oscar's representation on these matters.

Matthew
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.