Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Anyone else been S.L.A.P.P.'ed by F.E.C.A.L. Lawyer Julie Stewart?  (Read 3597 times)

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
Anyone else been S.L.A.P.P.ed by F.E.C.A.L. Lawyer Julie Stewart?

S.L.A.P.P.: Strategic lawsuit against public participation...

"A strategic lawsuit against public participation (SLAPP) is a lawsuit that is intended to censor, intimidate, and silence critics by burdening them with the cost of a legal defense until they abandon their criticism or opposition.[1]"

"The typical SLAPP plaintiff does not normally expect to win the lawsuit. The plaintiff's goals are accomplished if the defendant succumbs to fear, intimidation, mounting legal costs or simple exhaustion and abandons the criticism. A SLAPP may also intimidate others from participating in the debate. A SLAPP is often preceded by a legal threat. The difficulty, of course, is that plaintiffs do not present themselves to the Court admitting that their intent is to censor, intimidate or silence their critics. Hence, the difficulty in drafting SLAPP legislation, and in applying it, is to craft an approach which affords an early termination to invalid abusive suits, without denying a legitimate day in court to valid good faith claims."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation

Many jurisdictions have legislation in place to deal with "S.L.A.P.P.'s" in an expeditious manner.

S.G.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:58:38 PM by Matthew Chan »

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Anyone else been S.L.A.P.P.'ed by F.E.C.A.L.?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 02:03:11 PM »
This is a great find and absolutely accurate with what ELI has been through. There is actually a legal term/acronym for such actions.  Good job as always. I continue to be amazed with the insights, discoveries, and commentary being shared and contributed.

ELI will not every tolerate being "SLAPP"ed down. Attempts to do so will be met with equal or greater retaliatory measures.

Anyone else been S.L.A.P.P.ed by F.E.C.A.L. Lawyer Julie Stewart?

S.L.A.P.P.: Strategic lawsuit against public participation...

"A strategic lawsuit against public participation (SLAPP) is a lawsuit that is intended to censor, intimidate, and silence critics by burdening them with the cost of a legal defense until they abandon their criticism or opposition.[1]"

"The typical SLAPP plaintiff does not normally expect to win the lawsuit. The plaintiff's goals are accomplished if the defendant succumbs to fear, intimidation, mounting legal costs or simple exhaustion and abandons the criticism. A SLAPP may also intimidate others from participating in the debate. A SLAPP is often preceded by a legal threat. The difficulty, of course, is that plaintiffs do not present themselves to the Court admitting that their intent is to censor, intimidate or silence their critics. Hence, the difficulty in drafting SLAPP legislation, and in applying it, is to craft an approach which affords an early termination to invalid abusive suits, without denying a legitimate day in court to valid good faith claims."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation

Many jurisdictions have legislation in place to deal with "S.L.A.P.P.'s" in an expeditious manner.

S.G.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:44:07 PM by Matthew Chan »
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Extortion-Victim-No Longer

• Fighting Extortion
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else been S.L.A.P.P.'ed by F.E.C.A.L.?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 05:46:56 PM »
Yes!!!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:44:26 PM by Matthew Chan »
Kim

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Anti-SLAPP Resources
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 07:42:52 PM »
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.