Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: What happened after late '07/early '08?  (Read 3341 times)

Nelis Infra

• View Profile
What happened after late '07/early '08?
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:18:43 AM »
It seams that there are no entrys whatsoever on the internet according to the Getty case after '07/'08. How come? Is Getty images silently preparing lawsuits? Is that the reason nobody heard anything anymore? How is it with your case Matthew? Or has it just became utterly silent after the last reply that you are not going to pay?

I'm kind of scared right now that Getty is preparing for a giant battle against all who are bullied by them. What else could be the reason for this silence before the storm? Please anybody, please inform what happened ever since you received the letter. Here is what I think happend to all of you:

1. The first Settlement Demand letter. I received this one as well. What to do next? There seem to bee two options: a) totally ignore everything that Getty sends you and b) reply that you aren't acknowledging there invoice or absurd settlement fee. What did you guys do?

2. The second letter arrives with a discount of 15% (or is is 25%?) if you pay fast. Again: either reply or ignore, please advise.

3. A collection agency starts calling and mailing that you have to pay, otherwise they will prepare a lawsuit. Again: what to do?

4. Dead silence.

Is this a correct viewing of things? If not: please correct!

I really want to know what to do, because this amount of money is defenitly going to put me out of business. The letter itself hit like a bomb and is really messing up the lifes of me and my family. The silence on every weblog is also killing me. I really don't know what to do anymore - and with the current status of the world economy, there isn't that much room to pay an attorney as well.

Thank you very much in advantage and I'll be glad hearing from you soon.

P.S. Excuse me for my crappy English.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
Re: What happened after late '07/early '08?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 09:33:13 PM »
Well, Nelis, this weblog has been very active in 2008 and up to now. Getty filed a few lawsuits in early 2008 against businesses that had over 20 images.  The defendants apparently settled very quickly and did not really contest the issue. I spoke to one defense lawyer (who was not really an intellectual property  litigator) and he said he did not raise some of the issues I raise on this site and that his client (a bank) wanted to get the matter over with quickly so they settled.

With us, we now represent over 80 businesses on this issue and we are in discussions with Getty's corporate counsel as we speak, trying to see if we can get some agreement. You have accurately described Getty's pattern of behavior, they have alot of activity then they drop away.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.