Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: What if my "offending" website was taken down already  (Read 3613 times)

bearcat

What if my "offending" website was taken down already
« on: June 30, 2009, 02:59:12 PM »
Hi folks,
I'm new here -in fact I just found this site this morning.   I received my initial 'extortion' letter from Masterfile a couple weeks ago.   I received the followup letter today.     I paid a company (www.logojeez.com) to build my website and they insist they only use royalty-free images.   Masterfile disagrees and wants $13K.    Long story short:    Two weeks before I received the initial letter from Masterfile I had already taken down and replaced out entire website.      My question is whether that offers me any kind of protection in this case?

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
Re: What if my \
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 06:07:20 PM »
not really Masterfile is very aggressive and litigates regularly.  They will not care that you have taken the images down. Of course, it is not a defense to copyright infringement that you stopped using the work once notified.  That is what Masterfile will likely tell you in response to your advising them that you have taken the images down. I am away until July 7th from my office.  Email me your contact info at xxx and I will reach out to you as soon as I can.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:47:33 PM by Matthew Chan »

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.