Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
don't contact them it will only egg them on, it's useless..you will be pissing in the wind... yup this is going to take years off your life...3 yrs to be exact, the statute of limitations..
Getty Images Letter Forum / Re: another copytrack letter
« Last post by snookypookums on February 07, 2019, 02:39:15 PM »
I too have just received a letter--now the 2nd one. I responded asking them for proof that the owner of the image will actually receive funds, and for proof that they are not just some webcrawler making bank while the actual owners of images (whether infringed or not) are unawares. My case is very similar to Dave101's. Same situation--I found the image on Facebook with a misleading caption, and I decided to share it on my science communication blog explaining why that image was misleading and how it contributes to the ignorance of the masses. Frankly, I didn't know there was some possible "in the public interest" kind of 'defense'. Anyway, I ignored the first email because I was suspicious, but went ahead and removed the blog containing the image altogether (it was from an old business that I haven't practiced in 5 years).  I also wondered if it was possible that some internet co. allegedly based in Germany would have any jurisdiction over me outside of Germany. Got the second email today, to which I replied as I stated above: "Put me in touch with the actual owner of the image, and THEN we'll talk." They can get someone to call all they want--the address and phone number on the page/blog are nearly 5 years old and no longer valid. I guess I'll keep ignoring them and using the advice I see above. If I hadn't forwarded the email on the page to a current email, they would never have reached me. And I'm assuming they're not about to try to get records from my country to find out where I am at present. Very glad to have found this site! I decided to google, "Copytrack scam" and this forum was at the top of the list!
Higbee Associates Letter & Lawsuits Forum / Re: Just got a letter from Higbee
« Last post by Dills on February 07, 2019, 02:14:50 PM »
Okay so I've done some digging and I guess what it all boils down to is this question: Should I reach out to Higbee before they formally sue me to try and explain my situation or would that just guarantee they'll pursue legal action? Right now I'm just kind of hoping they realize I have nothing for them to take and just go away on their own but would it be better to reach out to them first? The waiting is taking years off my life.

Thanks again.
Getty Images Letter Forum / Re: PicRights.com
« Last post by kingkendall on February 06, 2019, 10:33:11 AM »
The last thing a copyright troll lawyer wants is to see the inaide of a court room at trial.  That's not the business model.  They want the law hanging fruit, the people who get freaked out and pay up because they're so afraid of getting sued.  They want people who are fearful.  Which one do you wanna be?  Stop panicking read the forum and learn.   
Higbee Associates Letter & Lawsuits Forum / Re: Just got a letter from Higbee
« Last post by Matthew Chan on February 06, 2019, 12:03:12 AM »
$50K for one image? Are you sure about that? I have never heard of anyone demanding this much for one image.

Start reading this forum and you will get an idea of how this scheme works.

I just discovered this forum today so I'm still pretty new to all of this. Yesterday I received a letter from Higbee Associates informing me that I was in violation of using a copyright image a few times in a blog post I made back in 2016. They asked for about $50k to settle. A little about my site: It's never been incorporated as a business and is a pretty small affair overall. In total I've made like $100 from ads over the years but that is definitely not a profit when considering facebook promotion, URL registration, and getting the wordpress tools. I was pretty green back then, mostly doing stories about cute animals, endangered species, or neat scientific breakthroughs...pretty light and feel good. I haven't updated in quite some time, almost a year I think. Anyway this has me pretty freaked out. I have about $60 in my bank account and virtually nothing in my name (no car or house). I really don't know what to do and I'd like to stop panicking. Any advise would be appreciated.
Higbee Associates Letter & Lawsuits Forum / Just got a letter from Higbee
« Last post by Dills on February 05, 2019, 10:27:39 PM »
I just discovered this forum today so I'm still pretty new to all of this. Yesterday I received a letter from Higbee Associates informing me that I was in violation of using a copyright image a few times in a blog post I made back in 2016. They asked for about $50k to settle. A little about my site: It's never been incorporated as a business and is a pretty small affair overall. In total I've made like $100 from ads over the years but that is definitely not a profit when considering facebook promotion, URL registration, and getting the wordpress tools. I was pretty green back then, mostly doing stories about cute animals, endangered species, or neat scientific breakthroughs...pretty light and feel good. I haven't updated in quite some time, almost a year I think. Anyway this has me pretty freaked out. I have about $60 in my bank account and virtually nothing in my name (no car or house). I really don't know what to do and I'd like to stop panicking. Any advise would be appreciated. 
« Last post by Jafer on February 05, 2019, 07:36:05 AM »
Alright so as far as it seems I feel that ignoring them may solve the issue in the hope that they give up but could I ask if anybody reading this has ever had a lawsuit that has moved in the direction of actually going to court? (From Picrights preferably) If so, what were the steps in involved and how likely is it the court will accept their view rather than mine?

I appreciate all the feedback given as it has reassured me a great deal!

« Last post by Keeping It Real on January 31, 2019, 10:42:41 AM »
Hi Jafer,

You are on the right track with ignoring them.  Just hang in there once they realize you didn't fall for their discount offer, they will get pesky since you have had initial contact with some negotiating.  They have not shown proof they actually represent the artist or that it was not available before as a Royalty Free Image.  They have not proven you did anything wrong. 

As I stated in my last comment to you, mine began as a Royalty Free image and reverted to rights managed.  It also does not matter that I purchased it.  The license is gone after the Getty image takeover of iStock.  So without proof of my license then I am in same boat as anyone else that receives these extortion emails.  That is why I never respond but make sure I am not using an image they make claim to that is has become rights managed.  I have also learned a lesson in this and that is "to copy all of my old licenses" to prevent loss again.  Example, Fotolia was just purchased by Adobe and I will not continue with them as they are too expensive for imagery.  They have all of my licenses but disclaimer states, they won't promise to maintain them in the future.  So now I have copies of everything.

I recommend this to anyone that purchases images.  Never rely on the company to maintain your data of purchase.  Good Luck and hang tough!
I have never interacted with Leslie Burns. The letter that was shared with me belonged to someone else.

Can you tell me what the outcome of your situation was? How did you handle Leslie Burns?
« Last post by Jafer on January 28, 2019, 09:09:29 AM »
Thanks for the update I appreciate the feedback.

1.Currently they have offered a 20% discount so assumed it would be best to further this discount to see where it goes but I will cease contact after viewing this thread.
2.If there are court summons, do I have the chance to settle just before it actually goes to court?
3. It was unintentional, so image has now been removed. I am able to withstand their tactics but just so I am well aware & prepared I am just following it up

As you actually purchased the image you are probably in  stronger position to refuse any of their demands as you have legitimate grounds to base your views on.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.