Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: 5 Reasons You Shouldn’t Fear Being Sued (Too Much)  (Read 4010 times)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
5 Reasons You Shouldn’t Fear Being Sued (Too Much)
« on: October 10, 2012, 04:39:13 PM »
No one wants to be sued, ever. Most of us would rather resolve our differences through negotiation, communication and, failing that, arm wrestling, drag races or just about any other means.

Yet, when people get angry online, it seems to be that’s the first a lot of people do, threaten a lawsuit.

While you shouldn’t be reckless and infringe the rights of others, whether it’s copyright, trademark, defamation, privacy, etc., the truth is that you shouldn’t be too worried about getting sued, especially when you haven’t done something that’s clearly illegal.

As much as people like talking about suing one another, it rarely actually happens and there are several reasons for that.

However, to understand them, you have to delve a bit deeper into the legal process and see why it’s not used nearly as often as people might think for settling disputes online.

http://performancing.com/5-reasons-you-shouldnt-fear-being-sued-too-much/
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Re: 5 Reasons You Shouldn’t Fear Being Sued (Too Much)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 06:06:03 PM »
Good article and information, thanks for sharing Robert.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 08:52:15 AM »
Great Article Robert!

It's interesting that according to this article, Getty's very strategy is the reason they won't sue.

They appear to go after very small businesses and individuals.  The costs of filing suit are generally higher than the extreme valuations Getty asks for one or two image infringements.

And, if Getty were to prevail in a suit, the chances that they would ever get paid are slim because:
To make matters worse, in the U.S., many, if not most, legal judgements can be discharged in bankruptcy.

Personal bankruptcy might be hard to justify, but if you really don't want to pay those guys, I'd bet you could find a way to put your small business through bankruptcy, and open up with a new shingle the next day.

It might seem extreme, but if you really don't want to pay the trolls, you can find a way around it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 08:55:24 AM by stinger »

Mulligan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 11:43:47 AM »
Excellent article, Robert. Thanks for sharing that one. It should put the mind at ease in a lot of cases.

Moe Hacken

• We have not yet begun to hack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 10:13:39 PM »
Thanks for the post, Robert. Very interesting, and I do agree with the point being made about good lawyers looking after their clients' best interest by keeping them out of court.
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.