Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: A Message From KeepFighting  (Read 8642 times)

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
A Message From KeepFighting
« on: June 17, 2012, 07:41:36 PM »
I have decided to reveal my identity here in the forums and online community.  I am doing this not because I am special in any way, I am not.  I feel that the more we can put a face to our stories and situations the more we can show Getty that we are not afraid to fight their extortionist practices.  I am not out of my three year statute of limitations waiting period before I can breathe easy, in fact it has only been a few months since I received my letter but I am here to say that I am not afraid of Getty and I will be fighting them with every means at my disposal and am prepared to do whatever it takes.  I also had a conversation with Mathew today and let him know that it is my intention to continue to support ELI financially, as it would be a terrible loss if it were no longer here, as well as with my time here in the forums helping out any way I am able until ELI is no longer necessary. 

You may say or think that one person cannot make a difference but I beg to differ, Matthew is making a difference, April is making a difference http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/linda-ellis-lindas-lyrics-dash-poem-letters-forum/, Ian is making a difference http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/class-action-suit-filed-against-getty-images-master-delegate-in-israel/  it can be done, the more people that are willing to stand up, be counted and fight for what is right the sooner we will start to see a change.  A perfect example is the April Brown’s situation, she had had enough and fought back, until she brought this issue to light not many people had heard about Linda Ellis and the Dash demand letters, now Linda Ellis and her tactics are getting all kinds of attention. 

I am not advising anyone to do what I am doing, there are risks involved but I feel as with any bully you stand up look them in the eye, pop them in the nose and they will go look for easier prey. 

So in the immortal words of Inigo Montoya I say to Getty:

Hello.
My name is Greg Troy.
You sent me a letter.
Prepare to die.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist  ;), but my name is really Greg Troy and I run a sole proprietor Remodeling and Handyman service called Yeah, We Do That, I will be here and keep fighting with everything I have and by any means necessary. 

Thanks,

Greg Troy
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 05:09:15 PM by Greg Troy (KeepFighting) »
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: A Message From KeepFighting
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 08:00:08 PM »
Greg,

It takes great courage to come out publicly. I commend you for it. I think it is safe to say you are the 5th person in the ELI community (after me, Robert, Jerry, and April) that has decided to make a stand. We stand by our business reputations and stand by our positions against copyright extortionists.

Because you have revealed your identity, it is safe to say ELI will support you if there is any retribution by Getty. I already have an action plan of who and where to target should that day ever come.  Not everything gets posted to these forums.  I do keep some things in my back-pocket just in case.

I cannot imagine they would do anything stupid against you as you are involved with ELI and you now have a direct phone line to me.

I am hoping I can get Greg to do a video interview with me within the next week or two. It should be fun.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 08:02:34 PM »
Well re-welcome Greg! Needless to say I agree completely with your statements, and appreciate your efforts and willingness to "come out".
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Peeved

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 08:22:24 PM »
Right on Greg!

Everyone needs to fight this battle how ever they seem fit. There are those "anonymous" members who have contributed "financially" as well as with continuous dialog. Some with a little "humor" added to the mix. I respect those members as well!
 ;)

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 08:57:28 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the support and I would be honored to do a video. 
@Peeved
I agree, we all have our part and do what we can, again, I am not suggesting anyone do this unless they are ready and I am certainly not suggesting that anyone who remains anonymous is not doing their part, they are.  We all support ELI how we can, weather through contributions, participating in the forums or adding new information, we all do our part. I just feel for me I wanted to let Getty know I am going to fight them and let them know who it is that is doing it.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 09:41:28 PM »
For those who do not know me and wanted to find out more here is the thread I started when I joined.

http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/got-my-getty-letter-thank-you-for-this-site/

--Greg Troy

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 11:14:43 PM »
An official welcome to Troy!!

S.G.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 02:29:17 AM »
Thank you S.G.! I am glad to be here!

An official welcome to Troy!!

S.G.

--Greg Troy

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 12:59:51 PM »
Good for you Greg. I agree the best way to combat the practice of trolling is to be open and direct. I've done a talk at a couple different user groups in LA and I am surprised at the number of people that just paid up.

I also agree that it's up to each individual to "come out" in their own time and when they are ready. But since the stock footage industry has been at this for a few years now, more and more people will be reaching the end of their three year window. I suspect that we'll start to see an increase in people willing to speak "on the record" about this.

By the way, my real name is Jerry Witt. If any extortion victims are ever out in LA, give me a shout and I'd be happy to grab a beer with you.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 01:43:18 PM »
Thanks Jerry!  I am afraid that the amount of people who just pay has to be high or it would not be profitable for the stock photo companies to continue perusing there current business model.   Look at HAN where Glen Carner stated that half of his income comes from infringement collections.  I do think that the more people we can educate and help get the word out we will see a change in the stock companies business model, not too soon I’m afraid but it has been shown time and again that companies that don’t treat their customer base with respect will have to change or fail.

And thanks for the offer, if you or any of the other victims are in the Cincinnati area I’d be happy to talk to you and have a beer.

Good for you Greg. I agree the best way to combat the practice of trolling is to be open and direct. I've done a talk at a couple different user groups in LA and I am surprised at the number of people that just paid up.

I also agree that it's up to each individual to "come out" in their own time and when they are ready. But since the stock footage industry has been at this for a few years now, more and more people will be reaching the end of their three year window. I suspect that we'll start to see an increase in people willing to speak "on the record" about this.

By the way, my real name is Jerry Witt. If any extortion victims are ever out in LA, give me a shout and I'd be happy to grab a beer with you.

--Greg Troy

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 01:50:57 PM »
I just might be headed to LA at some point, and I'll let you (Jerry) buy me a beer, only if you promise to bail me out in the morning, I've never had 1 beer in my life! I'd have to make my rounds to visit some other too. ;)
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

April Brown (AuctionApril)

• View Profile
    • AprilBrown.com
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 03:37:40 PM »
Greg! First tear I've shed since this started for me last October. I'm uplifted by your revelation. Today is one of those days when I needed to see courage. I'm sickened by secrecy. This is the USA! My compassion has increased for those people who have lived and are living under the iron sickle of censorship and tyranny (Syria, Egypt, Indonesia). They are threatened with real brutality and even death, yet they would rather be free than silenced - even if death comes. We have nothing to fear. Nothing. These Trolls need the bright light of truth blazing down on them every second of every day until this injustice stops! Hug to you.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 04:17:55 PM »
Thank you so much April and very well said.  I concur with everything you said; secrecy, greed and the unethical business practices of the copyright trolls are what keep this alive.  It’s a shame when someone does settle with them; the victims are forced to sign an agreement that says they are not allowed to discuss any part of the settlement.  I do realize that this is a “Standard” clause in most settlements but why have it unless you have something to hide. 
 I am happy that this has brightened your day, you are not alone in this and I know you are under attack right now with DMCA takedown notices and more than what is posted here I’m sure.  You are not alone in your fight; there is a strong community here to draw upon.  Hang in there and let us know what we can do to help.
Big hug back at ya  :)

Greg! First tear I've shed since this started for me last October. I'm uplifted by your revelation. Today is one of those days when I needed to see courage. I'm sickened by secrecy. This is the USA! My compassion has increased for those people who have lived and are living under the iron sickle of censorship and tyranny (Syria, Egypt, Indonesia). They are threatened with real brutality and even death, yet they would rather be free than silenced - even if death comes. We have nothing to fear. Nothing. These Trolls need the bright light of truth blazing down on them every second of every day until this injustice stops! Hug to you.

--Greg Troy

Moe Hacken

• We have not yet begun to hack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 06:48:20 PM »
Right on, Greg and April. I'm with you. I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 08:48:18 PM »
Greg:  It's great to meet you and thanks for revealing your identity. I do want to say that whether you choose to give your name or remain anonymous those folks who post frequently and thoughtfully have made this forum so valuable and content-laden that it is second to none on this topic. So while I agree that its "the more the merrier" as far as giving out your name, but the most important thing is to contribute your story and your thoughts about battling copyright trolling.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.