Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: a quick share from another forum  (Read 6263 times)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
a quick share from another forum
« on: March 02, 2012, 07:24:40 PM »
I'm very active on a photography forum and wanted to share this post, to show how damn stoopid people can be..below is the image in question, followed by another users responce..

"I just wanted to let you know that I copy and pasted the after photo in an email to send to a friend at work because she LOVES cats and I knew this would make her smile. She ended up sending it to another friend who loves cats and before you know it, hundreds of people are looking at your work! I work at Chase bank but in the corporate building so things travel fast here! So yeah, feel free to send a check in the mail for the marketing I did for you HAHAHA jk I doubt we are even in the same state. LOL"

This girl is gonna have her ass handed to her, some of the photogs on this forum are very sensitive when it comes to copyright, which is understandable..I would not be surprised if Carolyn Wright's name is not mentioned in this thread.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
Re: a quick share from another forum
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 09:40:29 PM »
But see, that is the problem with some of these nimrod photographers. Instead of being appreciative that someone enjoyed their work, they want to sue. And for what? Did the lady from Chase make a buck? Did Chase? "Real" artists are happy to have their work exhibited and appreciated. Sure, if someone is using it to make a buck, the artist wants a slice too. But this was purely someone going "Hey, I liked your work and I showed it to some people."

I hate greedy people that don't "get it." And you can tell all the photographers on that forum I said so.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 01:36:56 AM »
If we have an avalanche of photographers posting nasty messages now, it will be entirely your fault for provoking them with these fighting words. :-)

You know about my inability to cope with conflict and disagreement.  :-)

But see, that is the problem with some of these nimrod photographers. Instead of being appreciative that someone enjoyed their work, they want to sue. And for what? Did the lady from Chase make a buck? Did Chase? "Real" artists are happy to have their work exhibited and appreciated. Sure, if someone is using it to make a buck, the artist wants a slice too. But this was purely someone going "Hey, I liked your work and I showed it to some people."

I hate greedy people that don't "get it." And you can tell all the photographers on that forum I said so.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Peeved

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 01:40:07 AM »
uh oh the riot gear is on now....

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/97/trollpatrol.jpg

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 02:17:10 AM by Peeved »

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 01:50:30 AM »
Peeved,

You are killing me again with your little image mockups! LOL. That is 2 for 2. I gotta share this one too.

uh oh the riot gear is on now....

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/515/trollpatrol.jpg/

;D ;D ;D
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 11:46:18 AM »
too funny... lol!!

S.G.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 12:32:14 PM »
Nice on ePeeved!!

@MC, while I agree, I don't know if this particular photographer will even be upset, as I don't know him from Adam. I agree most would be happy to get the exposure, but as we all know there are the others that will get pissy, as her being a photographer you would think she would know and realize this, and at least ask if she can share it opposed to just copying it and sending it out. I haven't been back to that thread, but there are some hard core over the line types, that will surely advise the photographer to send an invoice, ect...
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 01:50:28 PM »
There's a lot of butthurt photogs out there.
Not that they'd make much more money even if people stopped "infringing" tomorrow.
But, somebody should phone the cops about what he did to that cat. lol.

S.G.

Peeved

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 03:10:55 PM »
Ok regarding the subject at hand......I'm calling this "another lesson learned".

If I were looking for a cat photo to use for my commercial business and I saw that "copyright information" on the photo, I would stay FAR AWAY and RESPECT the copyright. I would NOT be a jerk and try to crop or paint out the info and claim "innocence"!

If I saw the photo and thought that a FRIEND might enjoy it if I EMAILED it to him/her, I would NEVER have thought that it would be an INFRINGEMENT on the photographer!

Live and learn as they say!

Thanks for the laughs regarding the "Troll Patrol"! It was TOO FUN to make! I've got another one swimming around my head but you have to wait till Halloween! lol!!!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 03:15:37 PM »
Being as how ignorant some are, and the amount of people she claims now have the photo, I'd be willing to bet at least one or some will crop the bottom off, and use it, or print it. This is just another example of how these things can spin wildly out of control.. in any case the thread is pretty much dead, tho one photographer did mention the copyright infringement statute..

Robert Krausankas

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 04:04:32 PM »
Halloween? We have to wait THAT long for another "team" image?

Thanks for the laughs regarding the "Troll Patrol"! It was TOO FUN to make! I've got another one swimming around my head but you have to wait till Halloween! lol!!!

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.