Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Age.Fot.Stock Demand Letter  (Read 2888 times)

jatalp

• View Profile
Age.Fot.Stock Demand Letter
« on: September 10, 2015, 01:36:50 PM »
Hi, I've browsed these forums for awhile, and have found some really helpful information. I received a demand letter a few months back for several hundred dollars for 1 'rights managed' photo from a company called age.fo-to.stock.

I got some mixed information on this site, some say to just ignore them and it'll go away, some say to respond with a counter offer and asking for proof of copyright, sales data etc. I did not know what to do, so I ignored it at the time. A couple weeks ago I received a followup email from them basically saying the case was still open and they will 'continue to pursue the matter in the course of our business for as long as it remains unresolved'.

I was wondering what you're guys thoughts are on this? Should I go ahead and send a letter with a counter-offer (I already removed the alleged image several months ago), listing similar images to the alleged image and their prices, and asking for further info on their copyrights etc? Or should I continue to ignore?

My only fear by ignoring is that they will continue to pursue, possibly file lawsuit and then I'll be on the hook for their legal fees as well (is that possible?). This is what I also assume they want me to fear.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Age.Fot.Stock Demand Letter
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 03:19:19 PM »
I don't think it's a matter of getting mixed up info, it's more like different options that are available all depending on your level of education, and what scenario would suit you best, based on your circumstances, the specifics of your "case" and your level of putting up with this BS. None of us here can "tell you what to do", that's something only you can decide based on the above.

I've never heard of this company before, you may want to search justia.com or pacer.org to see if they are "lawsuit happy", most likely not, or we would have caught wind of them sooner. I'm curious as to the amount they are demanding and whether it is somewhat more reasonabnle than what other trolls demand?
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

jatalp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 03:30:19 PM »
That makes sense, I guess I don't know my risk tolerance here. A bit more specific details, this was 1 image, used as a aesthetic header on a personal site (such as an "about me" page).  I guess my main concern, is I don't want to make it worse. As in, 6 months from now I'm served a lawsuit and now they're asking for $5k. Or something crazy.

They were asking for ~$500 for 1 photo. According to a blog post on their site, they just started using the automated picscout service this spring. The email headers from their email route through mail.gettyimages, so I assume Getty owns them? Not positive on that, perhaps it's just because Getty owns picscout.

(note, I did scramble the name a bit for search-engine purposes, there is no periods or dashes in the name).

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 05:16:57 PM »
Getty Images owns Picscout, who have client in the stock photo world.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.