Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Another Aldrich Law Firm Letter  (Read 11317 times)

justinkunst

• View Profile
Another Aldrich Law Firm Letter
« on: January 22, 2012, 01:26:07 AM »
Hello Gentlemen,

I came upon this forum very much like everyone else I'm sure.  I'm bet this sounds familiar, I had an image on my site which I had no clue was copyright and low and behold I received this demand letter.  The letter is dated Dec. 27, though because I recently moved, it was just opened tonight.  They are requesting $1929.00, which I hardly have a fraction of.  I feel insulted and wronged...  What can I do?

Justin Kunst
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:50:18 PM by justinkunst »

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Another Aldrich Law Firm Letter
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 02:52:36 AM »
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 02:53:38 AM »
The best first step is to read these forums. Also watch some of the videos that Matt puts up. And then search on here for your stock agency's name and read all of those threads.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

justinkunst

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 02:48:18 PM »
Yes Sir, exactly like that.  The company though is "Bokelberg.com", and the picture I had on my site was a collage of images - one of which was apparently from their site.  I didn't make the collage the entire collage was from a different website.  What should I do to resolve this without paying out my nose?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:51:15 PM by justinkunst »

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 03:39:32 PM »
Just to confirm, it is Russell Aldrich from Aldrich Law Firm, from San Antonio Texas, representing Bokelberg.com, which appears to be located in Germany? Usually what we have seen thus far is that the attorneys selected ( by selected I mean pulling their name out of a hat) are usually located in the same state as the recipient. I am surprised they are using a US attorney for this, and naturally I have some legal questions.If this company is out of Germany, wouldn't they need to follow German copyright law? Wouldn't they also need a German lawyer. Can Adlrich Law legally represent company out of the states?...

Time do some homework on Bokelberg.com

::EDIT:: I will ad to this thread as I learn more info

Bokelberg.com appears on my list of company's associated with Picscout, so we know how they found the image in question. I'm wondering if Picscout actually selects the lawyers as opposed to the firms that own or claim to own the images....will report my findings shortly.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:31:25 PM by Matthew Chan »
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

justinkunst

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 08:31:39 PM »
Thanks Buddhapi,

Yes, this is Russell Aldrich from Aldrich Law Firm.  I am reading the forum and learning about the copyright situation with these companies.  I'll check this post daily and I really appreciate your help.  From what I'm reading, you're the person(people) to choose for help.

Justin

scraggy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 11:42:01 PM »
I have to chip in here. This is the second example of a German website threatening legal action in the USA. The second site is foodstock.com whose head office is located in Germany.

Here is the foodstock thread - http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/riddickimageline-letter-forum/stock-food-images-imua-legal-seattle/msg2070/#msg2070

Let’s assume that the German company has received an exclusive license from the photographer, and its contract with the photographer gives it maximum options for any future use of that license, including its future transfer. Maybe there is even a clause that allows Bokelberg ( or Foodstock or Getty ) to subdivide the license into geographical regions. In other words, Foodstock Germany appoints “Foodstock America” to exclusively license its images in North America. On the Getty site, for example, I can only purchase images from my local representative.

Does Foodstock America then have the legal right to sue in the USA? Can they claim that have an exclusive license, and therefore right to sue?

There is no doubt that you can transfer the exclusive right with the copyright owner’s contractual approval, and soon perhaps, even without - http://www.intellectualpropertylawblog.com/archives/copyrights-sublicenses-by-exclusive-licensees-of-copyrights-copyright-clarification-may-change-the-law.html

The question is whether you can subdivide a worldwide right into geographical regions. i.e. separate countries.

If the answer the yes, then any stock image company the world over will be able to appoint a local representative to sue on their behalf, whilst claiming that that their right to sue is based on a genuine exclusive right – the right to sell exclusively in their own country.

Here in Israel, Getty has their local representative, who is causing much heartache to many small businesses. If the above scenario is legal, then Americans will soon have to deal with more and more European, Asian, etc stock photo companies. The number of settlement demand letters will multiply rapidly.

Can someone please destroy my scenario with a serious legal argument? It’s not quite Righthaven, as the local office does at least put some work in.

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 12:57:35 PM »
I'm not an expert on this.

However, I'm guessing that one could file a lawsuit in most places that have a formal court system.
I'm sure that 'international' claims would have to be based on laws local to the alleged infringer.
But, it's doubtful that many foreign firms have registered their copyrights with the US Copyright Office.
Even US firms have done a terrible job in this regard.

Does anyone know if such a case would fall under the Berne Convention?

If the dispute is over a small number of images, I can't see how they could enforce payment without expending a great deal of effort.

S.G.

surprisinguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 05:04:01 PM »
I too received an Aldrich Letter Dated Jan 5. I have talked to Mr. Aldrich concerning the image (just one) and told him I didnt have the money to pay ($1070). In an email a few days later he told me that his client was probably understanding and that if I paid by Thursday the 26th I would "only" have to pay $500.
My website was made over 10 years ago, the company that did it is out of business so there are no licenses to be had. So in a few days I guess I'll be popping out money that I dont have. I own a small business that in no way consciously infringed on a copyright. A takedown would have sufficed. Strong armed law.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 05:31:46 PM »
And you're willing to pay $500.00 for an image they may not even own, may not be registered, or may be available elsewhere for free???

Paying them gives them another win, and just adds fuel to the fire for them to keep sending more letters...

Have you read any of the threads here?
Are you aware that you have options??
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 12:19:34 AM »
Unfortunately, you can only help those that are willing to help and fight for themselves....

For some, parting with their money is much easier than learning how to fight back.

And you're willing to pay $500.00 for an image they may not even own, may not be registered, or may be available elsewhere for free???

Paying them gives them another win, and just adds fuel to the fire for them to keep sending more letters...

Have you read any of the threads here?
Are you aware that you have options??
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

surprisinguy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 09:57:48 AM »
Good morning,
I've read through many of the threads, probably not all. The photo in question is listed on their site for sale. What exactly are my options? The attorney is in Texas, I'm in NC. Does he have to file here in NC or will he in Texas if he is so inclined? I really dont have the available cash to even pay the $500 and I assume (though of course I could be wrong) that if he sues it will be for the whole amount of $1070. Am I wrong if he files in Texas that I would have to appear there?
I've searched for the image as best as I can to see if it's listed anywhere else but have only found it on bokelberg's site (with others of the same model shoot). I'll take any kind of advice. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:00:10 AM by surprisinguy »

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 10:08:24 AM »
I'm going to make this short and sweet, because all of this info is readily available, you will need to do more research to determine your own best coarse of action.

IF a suit is filed it would need to be filed in federal court in NC.
IF a suit is filed it will be for much more, cause they will want atty. fees as well and most likely more.
Search the copyright.gov site for the image in question.
Demand that they provide you with proof of registration.
Pick that registration apart, make sure it is signed/dated and in order.
Perform a reverse image search on google with the image in question.
Perform a search on tineye with the image in question.

If the image is for sale, for how much?? Demand to know how they arrived at the number they are demanding.

Start there, get educated, keep reading, see how others have handled this.

Robert Krausankas

surprisinguy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 10:20:19 AM »
Thank you very much, I'll get started.
I've seen a lot of "getty" posts but not many of the "aldrich" ones yet.
Have a great day.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 10:44:26 AM »
Aldrich Law Firm is a new player, and he's only been practicing for like 3 months. The basics apply to most stock photo demand letters.

Robert Krausankas

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.