Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: hypothetical infringement  (Read 4216 times)

Lettered

• View Profile
hypothetical infringement
« on: December 22, 2008, 01:44:44 PM »
I'm still trying to understand how you can be liable for someone else's work on your website.  Here are a few made up examples that I find just as absurd as the Getty example.  Would these examples be different somehow, as compared to someone who unknowingly bought and displayed an infringing web site design?

1) What if a million people who ordered a Ford with a particular trim option, and it turned out that Chevrolet had the copyright on the particular trim design.  Could Chevrolet demand that the million Ford owners remove the trim and pay damages?

2) What about a thousand people who bought and displayed a bumper sticker whose manufacturer had stolen the design?

3) Or how about ten thousand people who brought a Christmas display (from manufacturer who had stolen the design) and displayed it on their lawn?

dorim

• View Profile
Re: hypothetical infringement
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 05:14:44 PM »
What this site is about and what the Getty letter is about are internet violations; your examples do not take place on the internet so they can not be compared with "stolen" website photographs and graphics.

Lettered

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 07:36:48 PM »
You're actually supporting the point I was trying to make.  Why do we assume that because this took place on the internet that it has some special treatment under the law?  As far as I can tell the parts of copyright law that do pertain specifically to the internet (DMCA) don't pertain at all to the Getty situation (not the vast majority of the cases anyway).  Personally, I can't see any philosopical, ethical, or legal differences in the cases I cited compared to the Getty accusations. It just seems to me that if you can establish the legal reason why any of the 3 cases I cited wouldn't be liable for damages that it would apply directly to the Getty situation.

... just a layman trying to understand ...

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 10:37:44 PM »
All right, I will answer the three questions for you:

1) What if a million people who ordered a Ford with a particular trim option, and it turned out that Chevrolet had the copyright on the particular trim design. Could Chevrolet demand that the million Ford owners remove the trim and pay damages?

If there was a valid copyright to the trim design, then yes, they could be sued for copyright violation and then the million people would have a suit against Ford.  Of course, in your example, Chevy would just go right against Ford as it is a deep pocket. Getty doesn't go after the website developer because they are hard to track down, may be in India or Pakistan and normally can just shut down the business and re-open as something else.  The end users cannot do this.

2) What about a thousand people who bought and displayed a bumper sticker whose manufacturer had stolen the design?

Ditto.

3) Or how about ten thousand people who brought a Christmas display (from manufacturer who had stolen the design) and displayed it on their lawn?

Ditto

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.