Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Notifications  (Read 5287 times)

beedee

• View Profile
Notifications
« on: September 21, 2009, 08:49:45 AM »
Excuse my ignorance but is there a setting somewhere that I can use to get a notification when this forum is updated?

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Notifications
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 01:28:16 PM »
Hello Beedee,

Welcome.  To answer your question, the notification is thread-based, not forum-based for non-administrators.  There is a checkbox once you reply to a message.  I think that was the case with the FSB forums also.

However, how you can tell if there is a recent posting is looking at the higher ranked threads and looking at the post date for the last message.  

Matthew
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
Matt- is this something we can do on the site as an option?

beedee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 05:07:30 PM »
Actually the FSB forum allows users to subscribe to particular forums or all forums. I am very busy at present and having to rely on memory to check for updates is difficult (at my age)!

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 10:22:45 PM »
Beedee:

I think when you click "Follow Topic" when you post,it notifies of additional posts in the same thread

beedee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 05:28:41 AM »
Yes it does but it would seem that you cannot get a general notification when any thread is updated.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 06:25:23 AM »
By default, this forum software does not have that feature.  If I have time, I will look to see if there is an add-on.  

However, keep in mind, this whole deal that I do here is for free.  There is no income being generated by the time and energy I put in.  I do what I can to accommodate within reason but there is a practical limit to how much service one provides without compensation.  I cannot allow myself to have this website and this cause take me away from my other business concerns.  If I can do something reasonably easy, I will.  But if it gets too much, I will simply say I can't do it.

In this case, I have no easy solution here.

Not a good answer to assist in the request, but an honest answer.  

Matthew
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.