Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Received a Complaint from BWP Media USA  (Read 69913 times)

rockview

• View Profile
Re: Received a Complaint from BWP Media USA
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2015, 09:43:11 PM »
I know this thread hasn't been updated in a while, but I thought I would post here before starting my own and having some sort of meltdown on you guys.

I recently received a letter from this firm and their client, BWP. I removed the image and made the decision to take down my site as well. It was a site that I no longer used, but I kept it up. I'm not sure if this was the right thing to do, but I felt there was no need in keeping an inactive site.

After consulting with a lawyer, he basically laughed at this situation. He said it sounds like a scam to him and advised me to ignore it. I'm still paranoid that something will come of it though. My site was just a hobby and I wasn't making an actual profit from it. He think I should wait to see what happens, if anything. How likely is it that I will be contacted again by these people? It doesn't seem like they would send one letter and drop it. If they do reach out again, I will have my lawyer follow-up.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:25:24 PM by rockview »

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2015, 10:52:16 AM »
There is plenty of info in the forums regarding how you should move forward, it is solely your decision, get educated first, and go from there. You'll have 3 yrs to deal with this, and it's hard to say what they might or might not do.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:51:02 PM by Greg Troy (KeepFighting) »
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

rockview

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2015, 07:03:30 AM »
There is plenty of info in the forums regarding how you should move forward, it is solely your decision, get educated first, and go from there. You'll have 3 yrs to deal with this, and it's hard to say what they might or might not do.

I've definitely been reading as much as possible on the experiences others have had.

I'm also curious because these people do not have my home address. How could they ever serve me with papers? In order to do so, someone would have to come into contact with you. According to my lawyer, when you're being served, those papers have to physically touch you, whether they are handed to you or thrown at you.

Since I don't use the site anymore, I was thinking of just getting rid of the domain, as it's due for renewal in a few months. Would it be wise to do this?

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2015, 10:28:04 AM »
Getting rid of the domain does not magically absolve you of guilt.

The best way to deal with your paranoia is, as Robert suggests, to get educated so that you know what might happen. Few people get sued over one image, but there are cases where this can happen.  Learn all you can so you can plot the best strategy to deal with this, for yourself.

rockview

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2015, 11:16:51 AM »
Getting rid of the domain does not magically absolve you of guilt.

The best way to deal with your paranoia is, as Robert suggests, to get educated so that you know what might happen. Few people get sued over one image, but there are cases where this can happen.  Learn all you can so you can plot the best strategy to deal with this, for yourself.

I wasn't trying to say that it did. But now that I've closed the site, there is no reason to keep the domain. I just wasn't sure if that looked worse on my part.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2015, 10:17:57 PM »
It does not make you look worse.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2015, 10:46:31 AM »
being "unservable" is always a good thing IMHO
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

rockview

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2015, 03:42:26 PM »
being "unservable" is always a good thing IMHO

That's what I'm hoping! Ha! I mean, they are sending these letters standard mail. It's not like they are sending them certified. They have no idea whether or not I have received it. So, how could they ever actually serve me and take me to court? I guess there's still a way, but I don't see how. As I was told by an attorney, I could be dead for all they know.

rockview

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2015, 10:54:15 PM »
What is everyone basing their three year statute of limitations on? The date the photo was posted, the date they discovered the photo, or the date of the letter?

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2015, 11:05:03 PM »
Safest bet is to base it on the date of the letter, that is a known date and will be after any others that may be out there.  Once you hit 3 years from that date you should be in the clear.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2015, 08:20:16 AM »
if they wanted to serve you, they would simply knock on your door..BWP just lost a case, seems they could not follow simple rules of procedure, the court dismissed the case..

http://copyright-trolls.com/site/copyright-troll-craig-b-sanders-of-sanders-law-p-l-l-c-overruns-court-system/

and court documents are here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/253553479/RKCC-Defeats-BWP-Media-Claim
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:54:44 AM by Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi) »

Robert Krausankas

JLorimer

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2015, 08:52:59 AM »
Robert, thanks for the link to that case. I hadn't seen that yet. After reading through it, I'm more convinced than ever that they only take screenshots and have no real proof. I couldn't believe that they refused to provide their evidence and then tried to show up at trial with different evidence. I'm glad I chose to wait it out.

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2015, 09:24:52 AM »
I love the comments in the ruling at scribbed
The “webpage captures” are minuscule, no more than one-sixteenth of an inch wide and some four-and-a-half inches tall, and do not reveal any discernible images within. (See id .) Indeed, it is not possible to confirm plaintiff’s assertion that the exhibit represents a website

The whole thing is pretty funny though.

Sandra Rose

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2015, 11:29:11 PM »
I also saw Sandra Rose's impending lawsuit has made a bit of a splash in the new year.  Anybody have any helpful new info?

Thanks for asking. :)

BWP Media took too long to serve me after filing this case in Dec. 2013. So, after the deadline to serve me had already passed, the lawyer asked the court for an extension to serve me in August 2013. Unbelievably, the judge approved the extension. All this time I had no idea I was even being sued. BWP's attorney, Sanders Law, hired a local process server who didn't even attempt to find me even though he had my home address. He went straight to the secretary of state and served the desk clerk. Apparently, if you own a LLC in Georgia, it is legal to serve the secretary of state instead of serving me at my residence or place of business. Of course, the secretary of state didn't notify me that they received a summons for my company. So a year later, in January 2015, the judge ruled a default judgment against me for $57,000 and some change. I found out about the judgment from a California lawyer. The court didn't bother to mail me the judgment even though my address is listed on the secretary of state's website. Now my lawyer is listed on my LLC as my registered agent to received service of summons. My lawyer is preparing to file a motion to vacate on the grounds that I was not properly served and the deadline to serve me had already passed.

By the way, thank you to Matthew and Oscar Michelen for their EXCELLENT advice!

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2015, 09:09:34 AM »
GA again?

What kinda law they practice down there?

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.