Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Shame on the DOJ  (Read 2379 times)

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Shame on the DOJ
« on: November 21, 2012, 02:52:39 PM »
I found this story over on the tech dirt website today and the more I read about it the angrier I become. Apparently the Department of Justice was looking at ninja video for sharing infringing files and contacted their Internet service provider Megaupload requesting cooperation. Megaupload cooperated with the DOJ by allowing them access to the servers and not allowing any files to be deleted per the DOJ could request. The DOJ even commented on Megaupload's cooperation

“Megaupload complied with the warrant and cooperated with the government’s request,” Rothken said. He said Megaupload had gotten “a number of such warrant and subpoena type requests a year and still have an expectation that as classic ‘online service providers’ they are immune from liability for the acts of users who are the target of such warrants and subpoenas.”

Then after all of this to DOJ filed a case against Megaupload stating that there were infringing files on their servers and they knew about it. Really!?! Of course they knew about it because the DOJ said the files were there and asked them not to delete them. This is so wrong and I can't even begin to express how angry this makes me. You can read the full article here:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121121/06442521110/megaupload-helped-doj-ninjavideo-prosecution-doj-uses-that-against-megaupload.shtml
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.