Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Is Riddick Dead?  (Read 18177 times)

RiddickCritic

• View Profile
Is Riddick Dead?
« on: October 28, 2011, 07:33:22 PM »
Sorry for the sensationalistic headline, but is this fat bully swirling the drain?  Haven't heard too many updates lately.

I'll never forgive him for his bullying tactics, his lies, his extortion attempts.  I don't wish the man to die a slow, agonizing death -- but if he did, I would have to think karma was knocking on his door.

Riddick, if you're reading this, I swear, go ahead & try to knock the battery off my shoulder again (anyone else here old enough to catch that reference?)  I will flatten you like a pancake.

designzer

• View Profile
Re: Is Riddick Dead?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 01:32:58 PM »
I was wondering the same thing! I posted earlier about the cafepress and hp case. Both appear to have settled. I was listed in the CP case. The image in question was not even the same! So obviously different, I could not believe it made it in the exhibits. And a few of the others, similar, but not the same images. Not sure with Cafepress what happened exactly. If they settled, or it was dismissed though mediation. It was dismissed without prejudice, so he could re-file against the individual store owners. Cafepress will not tell me much. I wonder too with HP what happened. I do not understand a lot of the legal stuff, so it would be great if someone who understands all of that would update us!

The wording on a lot of the documents with Cafepress seemed to me they were trying to say the art was being re-sold, or redistributed. Which is not the case, the shop owners created designs and then products with the design. The actual clipart was not for sale.

YetAnotherRiddickVictim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 06:09:07 PM »
From what I've heard, not dead but pretty much out of commission. 'Course, he could come back full of piss and vinegar if the latest IP laws pass through Congress and give him new ammunition.

riddickvictim2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 09:50:33 AM »
Would love to hear any Riddick updates...

stevep

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 07:35:56 AM »
It has now been over a year since Riddick sued anyone, that I can find. His usual holiday spree of suits don't seem to be there this time around. No news, good news? Maybe he's finally learned his lesson. That and this website is keeping people informed such that he's lost the element of surprise.

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 06:00:07 PM »
In Imageline/Riddick vs Bernina, it was determined that his stock art was not registered properly (he registered everything in bulk).
Also, his designs were very generic.  Nothing that he could sue for damages over.
Therefore, we may never hear from him again.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/23745259.jpg/

S.G.

RiddickCritic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 09:52:58 AM »
Like all trolls, this jerk (I'm trying to keep this PG-13) should go back under his bridge.

Nouns & adjectives that come to mind for this son of a... gun : bully, extortionist, liar, manipulator, thug, pig, criminal; opportunistic, incredulous, scatter-brained, incompetent, delusional, and deceitful.  Hopefully we can add "broke", "homeless" and "suffering from hyptothermia" to the list at some point.

This clown was his own worst enemy.  Picking on moms and housewives using embroidery patterns was stupid enough, but going after HP, and especially Bernina, was the textbook definition of "over-reach".  Plus I know that there are a few people here who stood up to the bully and told him to go pound sand.

If he so much as looks in my direction again, I will hit him with the force of a hurricane.

George, go back under your bridge, wallow in your misery, continue to pick the toe jam from your smelly feet, and stop wasting everyone's time with your bullying tactics.  With the internet, we are able to share information thanks to sites like this & contributors such as the participants on this board.

If you look in our collective direction again, we will CRUSH YOU.  Read that again: we will hit you back HARD.  Fines, rulings, court costs, attorney's fees,  etc.

George, if karma is real, you should be constantly looking over your shoulder, because you've certainly gone to the well too many times.

(Even though Riddick writes like a 6th grader, I have almost no doubt that he's aware of this board and probably reads messages from time to time, even if it takes him a couple minutes to read each sentence.  Riddick, if you're reading this, know this: there is enough focused and cooperative anger and hate towards you, we will band together to crush any idiotic, redneck, backwoods bullying maneuvers you attempt, so run away now before it's too late.)

designzer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 03:34:03 PM »
I have not heard any updates, and would love some news too. I was part of the Cafepress case. Cafepress will not share anything with us except it was dismissed. I am curious if Riddick received any settlements from Cafepress or HP. They both were dismissed, but it said with prejudice, which from what I understand means he can sue again. Such an unbalanced individual you just never know what he might do. And Bernina updates, is there a way to know if he paid up or not? His images he complained about in the CP case were very generic, and some were not even the same image.

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 04:30:40 PM »
"With Prejudice" means that he can't can't file a lawsuit over the same case again.  Those cases are over and done.
These IP lawsuits haven't been going well for him recently.
With these major losses, any future case could face a quick summary dismissal based on the failure of his previous cases.

S.G.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 02:10:44 AM by Matthew Chan »

designzer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 09:46:41 AM »
My mistake, they were dismissed without prejudice. So he could re-file. I would just like to know why they were dismissed, if a settlement was reached where cafepress and HP paid him something to go away. I am not sure how to read an interpret the documents. They seem to not say much to me, and I think sometimes that info is not public?

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 12:27:31 PM »
The Imageline/HP case was in fact dismissed "With Prejudice", so it is OVER.

"ORDER by Judge S. James Otero. Having reviewed the parties Stipulation for Dismissal of Action With Prejudice 20 and finding good cause thereon, that this case be dismissed in its entirety with prejudice, with each party to bear its own costs and fees incurred against each other. (Made JS-6. Case Terminated.) (jp)"

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/california/cacdce/2:2011cv00172/491489/21/

Is there documentation available that shows that the CafePress decisions was "without prejudice"?
I'm curious about it.

Normally, "dismissed" means that the judge made a decision that the plaintiff couldn't prove his/her case.
If a settlement is made before the judge renders a verdict, the plaintiff would file a "voluntary dismissal".

Yes, he could re-file if the decision is "without prejudice"
However, if the judge in the first round felt that he didn't have a case, this may not be worthwhile.
He could file a lawsuit with the same material facts.  If there's nothing "new", the defendant will just file for summary dismissal.

Recent court precedents have made bulk copyright registrations practically useless for the enforcement of copyright.
Also, the artwork of Imageline/Riddick is mainly too "generic" to enforce as "unique".
Imagine if I made a line-drawing of an apple and copyrighted it.
Then, ran a shake-down business and pursued anyone who has a drawing of an apple on their web site.
That's what it's like.

People pay the $100 dollars to file a lawsuit all the time as an intimidation tactic.  It's $50 in Canada, I think.
Yes, some people are quite intimated by that.  It's stressful.
But, the chances of Riddick gaining any traction with what he has is pretty slim.
Also, he can only afford to lose so many times.

Yes, anything is possible.  But, I wouldn't send him any money.

S.G.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:37:28 PM by SoylentGreen »

YetAnotherRiddickVictim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 11:55:09 PM »
A dismissal with prejudice on the stipulation of both parties and where each bears their own costs is usually a settlement.

OTOH, Riddick has mostly sued with contingency lawyers who saw dollar signs and would hold on to the case like pitbulls. Telling him to pound sand when he hits you with a demand letter is one thing, but if he sues with a lawyer, you cannot afford to ignore that. You don't want to try to appeal a judgment on a case you lost because you willfully defaulted.

I wish I could talk about the specific facts of our case, but I'm prohibited by the settlement. Let me just say, a dedicated asshat with a lawyer can cause you a lot of trouble and cost you a lot of money, whether he's right or not. If you get a letter from Riddick or someone like him, don't base your legal strategy on the bravado of some anonymous board poster. Call Oscar or someone like him and get help.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 01:59:42 AM »
I have not heard a peep from anyone regarding what Riddick is up to. I am guessing our online efforts have been a contributing reason to his disappearance. The online battle was just too much for him. He didn't have a soul on his side and he certainly didn't have anyone's respect.

Although I never had to take Riddick on directly like some of you, it is not hard for me to imagine how I might react. Hence, I understand and agree with many of your sentiments.

Sometimes you just have to take out the big hammer and use overwhelming force to prove a point and I think that is what ultimately happened.

Like all trolls, this jerk (I'm trying to keep this PG-13) should go back under his bridge.

This clown was his own worst enemy.  Picking on moms and housewives using embroidery patterns was stupid enough, but going after HP, and especially Bernina, was the textbook definition of "over-reach".  Plus I know that there are a few people here who stood up to the bully and told him to go pound sand.

If he so much as looks in my direction again, I will hit him with the force of a hurricane.

George, go back under your bridge, wallow in your misery, continue to pick the toe jam from your smelly feet, and stop wasting everyone's time with your bullying tactics.  With the internet, we are able to share information thanks to sites like this & contributors such as the participants on this board.

If you look in our collective direction again, we will CRUSH YOU.  Read that again: we will hit you back HARD.  Fines, rulings, court costs, attorney's fees,  etc.

George, if karma is real, you should be constantly looking over your shoulder, because you've certainly gone to the well too many times.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 02:10:20 AM »
It is always a calculated risk in these matters. I always tell people to be careful what you say or do. Your bluff could be called.  I don't like to bluff because I don't want to be called on it. So I am careful to only say things I have every intention of following through.

I am certainly one of those people who has a bit of an attitude but I am always scanning the environment and reassessing my position. It doesn't mean I could never lose or have never lost but you certainly have to pick and choose your battles.

I am not a big proponent of simply ignoring a threat because I believe it spurs the other side more to get you. It angers them more that you are trying to dodge a bullet than facing the issue head on. Obviously, that is a simplistic statement on my part. There are many variables involved.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but I am always a big believer in covering your tracks. And that means responding even if it costs you time and energy. To not respond can have very unexpected and unintended consequences as you hinted at.

But it seems, for now, Riddick is off the map. But you can be sure, ELI will be among the first to know about it if Riddick resurrects his extortion business.

OTOH, Riddick has mostly sued with contingency lawyers who saw dollar signs and would hold on to the case like pitbulls. Telling him to pound sand when he hits you with a demand letter is one thing, but if he sues with a lawyer, you cannot afford to ignore that. You don't want to try to appeal a judgment on a case you lost because you willfully defaulted.

I wish I could talk about the specific facts of our case, but I'm prohibited by the settlement. Let me just say, a dedicated asshat with a lawyer can cause you a lot of trouble and cost you a lot of money, whether he's right or not. If you get a letter from Riddick or someone like him, don't base your legal strategy on the bravado of some anonymous board poster. Call Oscar or someone like him and get help.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

RiddickCritic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 04:44:06 PM »
Agreed Matthew.

There's been so much good information exchanged here, and so much support, we're all very fortunate and grateful to you & Oscar for keeping up the vigilance.

When I was growing up, I had an early growth spurt, and I was usually "a hand" taller than most kids.  I also had a pretty strong sense of right & wrong (thanks, Mom & Dad) from an early age. So I often found myself in the position of protecting kids from bullies.  Even now, the best way to light a fire under me is to violate my sense of fairness.

I hope Riddick slithers back under rock he came from, forked tongue, soft white underbelly and all.  If he wants to strike anyone here, I hope he understands that he's taking us all on.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.